About Gateway

Gateway was the community newsletter of Pratt Institute published monthly by the Office of Communications, in the Division of Institutional Advancement through spring 2014. For current Pratt-related news, visit the News page on Pratt’s website.

Archives
Thursday
Oct172013

Museum of Art and Design Show Features Pratt Jewelers

Jenna Pierson and Samantha Nania (both B.F.A. Jewelry '13)Two recent graduates from Pratt Institute’s acclaimed studio jewelry program in the undergraduate Fine Arts department sold their wares alongside celebrated jewelry designers from around the world at LOOT: MAD About Jewelry 2013 held at the Museum of Art and Design.

The annual juried exhibition and sale, which ran from October 2–5, showcases one-of-a-kind, artist-made jewelry and offers the public the rare opportunity to acquire pieces directly from some of the most innovative jewelry artists working today. LOOT featured the creations of 50 emerging and acclaimed jewelry artists, including Pratt alumnae Samantha Nania and Jenna Pierson (both B.F.A. Jewelry ’13). This is the second year Pratt students have participated.

It was an educational experience for both. "Sam and I had a lot of fun and also learned a lot. One major thing was don’t make pieces to just fit me! I ended up losing sales,” recalled Pierson. “Above all I got my name out there, and my website has been getting a significant amount more traffic.” After the show, Pierson returned to Amsterdam where she is working in the studio of celebrated jewelry artist Gésine Hackenberg.

“It was an excellent event to network not only the visitors of the museum, but also the other jewelers and curators and other people involved at the Museum of Art and Design. They were all interested in our work and gave us suggestions for what to do at shows in the future,” said Nania. “It really helped me understand what a sellable price point is and what a sellable design is.”

“I think for Jenna and I this was a once in a lifetime opportunity,” she added. “I think this is something we could have never dreamed of right after graduation.”

To see Nania tell Gateway about her inspiration and time at Pratt, watch Jewelry Student Takes Her Cue From Ballet.

Nania and Pierson were in good company. The 2013 LOOT Award for Contemporary Art Jewelry went to renowned interior designer and jewelry artist, Iris Apfel, and Barbara Berger, a prolific collector of fashion jewelry.

Text: Amy Aronoff; Bay Brown
Photo: Christine Leitner

References (1)

References allow you to track sources for this article, as well as articles that were written in response to this article.

Reader Comments

There are no comments for this journal entry. To create a new comment, use the form below.

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Post:

All HTML will be escaped. Hyperlinks will be created for URLs automatically.